Suggested Books for UPSC Civil Services Examination
Immediately after one decides to test their mettle in civil services examination, they are faced with next question i.e. WHAT SHOULD I STUDY?
It is very difficult to pinpoint any particular material, which if covered by candidate will give cent percent positive results. However, we can compile a list of books which if covered thoroughly will maximize your chances of selection in the examination.
We have compiled this list of books on the basis of acumen of past successful candidates and veterans of the civil services examination.
MUST HAVE books which every serious aspirant must study:
1.Indian Polity by M.Laxmikant
2. Indian Geography by GC Leong
3. A Brief History of Modern India by Rajiv Ahir or India’s struggle for Independence by Bipin Chandra
4. Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
5. Any good Atlas (either Orient Blackswan or Oxford School Atlas)
6. Indian Year Book (Annually)
Other Good Books which can be referred during the preparation:
- An approach to verbal and non-verbal reasoning by R.S. Aggarwal (useful for CSAT)
2. Environment by Shankar IAS Academy
3. Indian Art & Culture by Nitin Singhania
4. India since Independence by Bipin Chandra
5. Challenge And Strategy : Rethinking India’s Foreign Policy – Rajiv Sikri
Apart from the above books, candidates should cover basic NCERT books of different subjects at school level.
To check detailed point wise list of books for different portions of the syllabus Click Here
To check useful links for UPSC Civil Services Examination Click Here