Solutions – MCQs on Environment & Ecology
1. Which of the following statements is false about Ken-Betwa Interlinking Project:
a) It would provide Water to Bundelkhand (drought prone)
b) It would submerge parts of Panna Tiger Reserve
c) project will be the first river project that will be located within a tiger reserve.
d) Both Ken & Betwa are tributaries of Ganga
2. Among the following countries which is highest GHG emitter:
3. Which of the following is false about Ethanol:
a) Ethanol is a Biofuel, derived from biomass such as plants and animal materials and can be used as an alternative to fossil fuels.
b) 1st generation ethanol is Made from the sugars & vegetable oils found in arable crops
c) Cellulosic ethanol, also known as Second generation ethanol is not produced from starch or sugar but from cellulose fibers, which are found in abundance in plant cell walls
d) There is nothing like blending of ethanol with petroleum
4. Which of following is false about NGT (National Green Tribunal):
a) It is a Statutory body established by a Government to handle the expeditious disposal of the cases pertaining to environmental issues.
b) It draws inspiration from the India’s constitutional provision of Article 21, which assures the citizens of India the right to a healthy environment.
c) It recently Cancelled allotment of salt pan in Sambhar Lake making it “No Construction Zone”
d) The Tribunal shall be bound by the procedure laid down under the Code of Civil Procedure, 1908 and not by principles of natural justice.
5. What is TanSat?
a) China’s first mission dedicated to Carbon Dioxide detection and monitoring
b) A recently made tanning device
c) India’s New Telecom Satellite
d) None of the above
6. Assam government has launched ‘Sustainable Action for Climate Resilient Development (SACReD) to make which river island country’s first ever Carbon Neutral district by 2020? The island is also the biggest river island in the world in the Brahmaputra River, Assam,
7. Recently in which layer of atmosphere above Asian monsoon regions of N. India and SE China, Highest concentrations of Ammonia has been discovered on being Released into atmosphere as agricultural emission from livestock farming and fertilization.
8. What is incorrect regarding Kigali Amendment & HFCs?
a) Kigali Amendment which amends the 1987 Montreal Protocol aims to phase out Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), a family of potent greenhouse gases by the late 2040s.
b) Under Kigali Amendment, in all 197 countries, including India have agreed to a timeline to reduce the use of HFCs by roughly 85% of their baselines by 2045.
c) India has decided to eliminate use of HFC-23, a greenhouse gas (GHG) that harms the ozone layer by 2030.
d) HFCs are both, greenhouse gases and ozone depleting.
9. Kasturiranjan & Gadgil Committee reports relate to protection of:
a) Ozone Layer
b) Western Ghats
c) Eastern Ghats
10. Doha Amendments to Kyoto Protocol to start second phase of Kyoto protocol covering period:
c) 2020 onwards
11. Sagar Mala project is a strategic and customer-oriented initiative of the Government of India to modernize India’s Ports so that port-led development can be augmented and coastlines can be developed to contribute in India’s growth.
12. SAUNI Yojana is multipurpose project that aims to solve the water problems of which region of Gujrat?
13. Which of following is not India’s INDC targets under Paris Climate Agreement?
a. Reduce emission intensity by 33 to 35 per cent by 2030 compared to 2005 levels.
b. Produce 40 per cent of electricity from non-fossil fuel based energy resources by 2030.
c. Achieve target of 200 GW renewable energy by 2022
d. Create an additional carbon sink of 2.5 to 3 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent by 2030 through additional forest and tree cover.
14. ISA, International Solar Alliance jointly launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Francois Hollande at CoP21 in Paris in November 2015 will ensure that developing countries rapidly ramp up their electricity production, predominantly by using clean solar energy and avoid fossil fuels.
15. Sunderbans Tiger Reserve is located in which state?
d) Andhra Pradesh
16. SAFAR was introduced by Union Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) to increase awareness among general public regarding the air quality. What is its full form?
a) System of Air Quality Forecasting And Research
b) System of Air Quality Facility And Research
c) System of Air Quality Forecasting And Reporting
d) System of Air Quantity Forecasting And Research
17. Which of following is not true regarding National Air Quality Index?
a) The National AQI is published for every month by CPCB along with a numerical value and a colour code depicting pollution levels.
b) It is determined on the basis of concentration of 8 pollutants.
c) The colour categories are classified into 6 categories depending upon numerical value
d) Carbon Dioxide is part of 8 pollutants covered under it.
18. Which of following pollutants is covered under National Air Quality Index?
a) Particulate Matter
b) sulphur dioxide (SO2)
c) ozone (O3)
d) All of the above
19. Which of following is not true regarding Particulate Matter (PM)?
a) Atmospheric particulate matter is microscopic solid or liquid matter suspended in the Earth’s atmosphere.
b) The sources of these can be natural as well as man-made
c) The particulate matter is classified on the basis of their size as PM 2.5 (2.5 micrometers in diameter or smaller) or PM 10 (2.5 to 10 micrometers in diameter).
d) While PM 2.5’s story ends at the lungs, PM 10 can pass from our lungs into our blood supply and be carried throughout our bodies thereby making them “the invisible killer”.
20. Bioremediation is an environment-friendly mechanism that uses microorganisms to clean up contamination caused by leaks and accidental spills.